This beanie was intended for my nephew but my measurements came out a tad small so I ended up selling it to a friend for her newborn nephew.
I came up with the design by looking at various pictures of Totoro. I had just come across a crochet stitch that resembled knitting. The stitch is called Tunisian crochet and I wanted to try it out as it seemed like a cheats way to get the look I wanted but in half the time (I thought so anyway). However, the stitch when crocheted comes out much thicker and has less give than it’s knitted equivalent, something I hadn’t accounted for, hence the disappointing end of a beanie not fit for a 4 month old.
To determine the overal size of the beanie, positioning of the earflaps and facial features, I crocheted a test swatch of the stitch in the selected wool. This then gave me an idea of how many stitches I needed to make up the circumference measured around my nephews head. I drew a rough grid and drew up the features on scrap paper to guide me as I crocheted. A lot of stitch counting was involved along with a lot more unravelling.
Here’s a progress shot.
Due to the way the tunisian stitch is created, the ends of the work do roll up. Luckily with this beanie I had planned on sewing in a fleece lining. Just something to note for future reference. I wasn’t too happy with the nose at this point so I ended up creating a muzzle which sat on top of the original nose. This gave the beanie a 3D affect which I was quite happy with.
I actually ended up putting this on Etsy before my friend bought it. It attracted quite a bit of interest so who knows, I may write the pattern up in all it’s complicated detail. Till then, onto the next thing!